The all-metal TJ-II vacuum vessel has a helical geometry and has 96 ports.  The vacuum vessel is made of non-magnetic steel (304 LN) with a thickness of 10 mm. The CC/HX coil is outside of the vacuum vessel thanks to a helical groove built into the vessel. This groove has a wall thickness of 7 mm for clearance reasons. The groove is protected along the entire toroidal circumference against damage due to the bean-shaped plasma by 3 mm stainless steel sheets for low and medium power operation and graphite tiles for high power operation. Furthermore, the vacuum vessel is protected on the areas where the neutral beams deposit a residual shine-through heat flux.
- TJ-II:Plasma Wall Interaction (vessel wall conditioning)
- TJ-II:Sectors (top view of a model of the vacuum vessel)
- J. Botija and M. Blaumoser, Vacuum vessel design for the TJ-II device, 14th IEEE/NPSS Symposium on Fusion Engineering 2 (1991) 992-995
- J. Botija et al, Vacuum vessel, wall protection, pumping system and poloidal limiters of the Spanish stellarator TJ-II, 15th IEEE/NPSS Symposium on Fusion Engineering 1 (1993) 529-532
- F. Tabarés, The vacuum system of the TJ-II stellarator, Vacuum 45, Issues 10-11 (1994) 1059-1061
- R. Carrasco, Hybrid baking system for the vacuum vessel of the Spanish stellarator TJ-II, Proc. 18th Symposium on Fusion Engineering (1999) 231-234